We got the idea for this recipe after trying a new batch of Beerenberg Hot Tomato Chutney. It’s available in our For the Lads gift basket, and you can also get it directly online from Beerenberg. Compared to any chutney we’d tried before, this one hit the tongue with a lively, intense heat that immediately sparked one thought – “this would make the best Mexican dishes, ever.”
Makes 6 Enchiladas.
– 500g lean chicken mince
– 1 large onion, roughly diced
– 1 carrot, julienned
– 1 large green capsicum, diced
– 50g Old El Paso Mexican seasoning
– 1/4 cup of water
– 1 large ripe tomato, roughly diced
– 6 Mission Jalapeno Flavoured Wraps (or your favourite flavour)
– 260g Hot Tomato Chutney (We used the aforementioned Beerenberg product)
– 1/2 cup light thickened cream
– 1 cup grated tasty cheddar cheese
– Salt and pepper (optional)
– Sliced spring onions to serve
- 1 Heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken mince and half of the onion and cook until brown, stirring to break up any lumps.
- 2 Stir in carrot, half of the capsicum, 1 tbsp. of Mexican seasoning and 1/4 cup of water until sauce thickens. Set aside to cool.
- 3 For the topping, heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the rest of the onion and capsicum, diced tomato and cook for 1 minute.
- 4 Stir in 2 tbsp. of Mexican seasoning and the whole jar of hot tomato chutney, cook for 1 minute (do not over cook). Set aside.
- 5 Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- 6 Place 1 wrap on a clean work surface. Top with 3 heaped tablespoons of the chicken filling. Roll up to enclose filling. Place on an ovenproof dish. Repeat this step for as many wraps as your oven dish will allow.
- 7 Once wraps have been placed in the oven dish, spread the topping evenly, drizzle with thickened cream and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the filling is heated through. Top the enchiladas with sliced spring onions.
Serve the enchiladas with green salad and fresh crusty bread. Enjoy!